Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can a landlord/PMC remove a Sat. dish from the roof during a…

Customer Question
Can a landlord/PMC remove a...
Can a landlord/PMC remove a Sat. dish from the roof during a roof replacement, and leave it hanging by the cables?. No notification was given.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/15/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, if the landlord needs to remove the dish to repair the roof they may do so. If they removed the dish, they need to replace the dish or pay to replace the dish. If they do not repair or replace the dish, you can sue them for the costs.
As far as whether or not you can have the dish, that is up to the landlord and the only way they cannot refuse to allow you to have the dish is if you have no cable or other service available in the area and if you do not have such other service the landlord cannot refuse the dish. If such other service is available they can refuse to allow a dish to be mounted on the home.
Now, if the owner knew the dish was there all along, they can order it removed but only at the end of your contract term with the dish company and if they make you remove it before and you incur a penalty, you can sue the landlord for that.
These are all of the issues based on what you have stated.