How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29787
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you are renting house does the disability act do repairs

Customer Question

If you are renting house does the disability act do repairs to house and pave drive ways and if so is there any requirements of owner of house?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The Americans with Disabilities Act does not apply to rental properties. However, the Fair Housing Act does. What the Fair Housing Act says is that the landlord must make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities. A landlord is already required to make repairs that affect a tenant's health and safety under state law. You can continue to make those requests. Every case is evaluated on the facts to determine whether an accommodation is reasonable. Note that when a tenant requests changes to the house, like widening of doors or installing wheelchair ramps, the law says the tenant can be required both to pay for the modification and to put the property back the way it was when they move out (at their own expense). But the landlord is required to allow the change. If you need the driveway paved, then the landlord can make you pay for it, but they can't refuse to pave it.

If your landlord refuses to allow reasonable accommodations, you have the ability to have a local attorney reach out to them and send a letter or file a lawsuit. The Fair Housing Act says that, if you win, the landlord can be required to pay your attorney's fees. Explaining that to the landlord may help convince them to allow a reasonable accommodation that you've requested.

Related Real Estate Law Questions