Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I am 87 and recently made a professional will to avoid

Customer Question

I am 87 and recently made a professional will to avoid probate. I live in Florida and was puzzled to receive a bill for $275 to cover a new property warranty. I already have one from the closing of the little house where I live and wonder why I seem to need another, so-called "special warranty." Is this necessary and legitimate? I plan to live a few more years. My will already deeds my house to my children (my son, Pieter, is a corporate lawyer in Holland and perhaps can engineer aropund problems arising from my demise. But why the $275? I certainly will appreciate your opinion! Many thanks!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.You were charged here for a Special Warranty Deed--have you seen the deed here to know who the grantor/grantees are? Are you a widow here is it possible this was from a prior probate where you got title? Just trying to understand.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Ray, As it developed, the lawyer who made my will did not ask me whetherI had an available property deed but merely asked a colleague to make one for me in order to complete my dossier. She should have asked me whether I could produce the original! When I received a new copy of my deed together with a bill for it, I did not know whence it had come and why it was sent. The sender had billed me once before on the same matter and sent me a rather sharp note asking why I had not paid! So I was searching for some arcane law indicating that for post mortem property transfer, I my son would need a different kind of deed! In the end it was all rather stupid and I'm sorry that I bothered you. Sincerely, George
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

George it is not stupid to ask questions.If you have doubts about the deed and what was prepared you should consider having local title company review this and correct if there is a problem. This is correctable here, you just need to deal with it to make sure you have clear title and resolve any problems along the way.Title companies do this, I worked for one for a number of years.