Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am drafting covenants to sign with my neighbor, who owns…

Customer Question
I am drafting covenants to...
I am drafting covenants to sign with my neighbor, who owns two undeveloped lots adjoining mine. The lots are +/- 12 acres each, located in northern New Mexico in a high dessert environment. I have compiled the draft covenants from different covenant documents I found online. I would like an attorney familiar with NM real estate law to review and correct my document for any loopholes, weakness or inconsistencies and suggest terms that I might have overlooked. The document is 1,600 words and will be supplied in Word format, as well as a plat of the three lots.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/13/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Legalease, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Hello there Barry --

-

Just Answer is a general legal question and answer service and for the amount posted, the attorneys will review a specific question / situation for a customer and provide an answer based upon the question asked and the information provided. That service is provided specifically through this CHAT function with the customer.

-

We are happy to take the matter further and provide telephone conversations with customers and provide additional services such as document review and comments -- but such services are provided at an additional cost to the customer. I am familiar with NM law ( I practiced in the southwest for several years) but will need more information regarding the uses of the properties and the reasons for the covenants before I can make an assessment for you as well. I can give you an estimate for the cost of these services if you send your documents to my email at marymeaden at comcast.net. Once you receive the estimate for services, if you do not wish to proceed then let me know and I can re-post your request on the open board to see if perhaps another attorney will pick it up and provide services for a smaller amount than I have requested.

-

MARY

Thank you for your response. Please release and repost my request.

Hello again Barry --

-

As per your request, I am releasing this question so that other attorneys can review the question and give you a price quote for Additional Services on this matter. I suggest that you post the covenants that you have already written so that any attorney who wishes to give a quote for Additional Services will have as much information as possible so you will not get any surprises on the monetary amount of the quote.

-

I wish you the best of luck with this matter and all other matters.

-

MARY

Dear *****. I am confused. Just Answer says that you "answered my question" but you have only given me a quote. Have you collected money from "Just Answer" for giving me a quote?

Hello Barry -

-

I have received nothing for giving you an estimate in this matter. Experts are not paid anything at all unless you press a positive rating in the ratings section above, which I would have asked you to do if we had finished the matter and I reviewed the materials. At this point, I opted out of the question (which tells Just Answer that I am no longer involved in the matter and permits other experts to offer quotes to you if they would like to do so). THat is probably why they told you that I answered your question.

-

At this point, any deposit collected by Just Answer from you is on deposit for any point where you might press a positive rating for another expert. You can ask to close out the question and receive your money back if that is what you wish to do at this point. I have no control over that and you would have to contact customer service to ask for a refund and that your question be closed for future review. Their telephone number is(###) ###-####

-

I DID opt out and placed your question and request for quotes on the open board again AND I even sent it via email to several of my Just Answer colleagues so that your request would be seriously considered by our attorneys. The few colleagues I am friendly with and close to here at Just Answer were not interested in that much work for less than about $500 (and you thought my quote was high -- LOL). I can also tell that several other attorneys here have opened up your question and reviewed it but none have made another offer to you for this document review / covenant review. You see, all of the experts on Just Answer are independent contractors and we are permitted to accept or decline questions as we see fit and none of us is forced to offer quotes for additional work (many attorneys will not even look at such work and will only come in to answer questions. I am one of the few who has an online practice and work from a home office so I am more flexible and I can consider such requests from customers and I can offer reasonable hourly rates because I do not have the overhead that some attorneys have with outside leased offices, etc).

-

So, NO, I have collected nothing for giving you a quote or for the time I have spent interacting with you AND for the time I have been trying to get someone else to consider performing this work for you for less than $300. I have been doing that for you as a favor and as a customer service to you. I am sorry that I have not been successful but at this point if you want to cancel the request you are welcome to do so. I am not offended by your suggestion that I have received a payment for the quote because I realize that the Just Answer system is extremely vague and they try to hide from customers their method of payment to the experts because if we legitimately answer a question and the customer forgets to return to give a positive rating (it happens more often than you would realise), then Just Answer keeps the entire payment rather than splitting it with the expert after the customer gives a positive rating. And, it is against the "rules" of Just Answer for an expert to go back into a question to remind a customer to press a positive rating (we are also not permitted to tell customers that we are not paid anything unless a positive rating is received from the customer). By forcing us to comply with these "rules" most experts are only paid for about 50 to 60 percent of the questions that they answer. And Just Answer keeps everything else unless the customer requests a refund.

-

You, my friend, are now educated on the ways of Just Answer and you will and should request a refund for this question. Simply tell them that there was nothing to offer a rating on because I did not finish the question with you and no other expert picked it up to answer or make you an offer within a reasonable time period. Even if you request a refund from the Just Answer website, if I happen to get any interest from any of the colleagues that I emailed I will put you in touch with them via the private email method and not through the JA website. You should probably decide yourself regarding how much you are willing to pay for such services -- not just for our interactions but if you are going to seek the same services on any of the legal websites that might offer document review and revision services (I believe legalzoom will do this type of work but I am not sure). The quote I suggested was really as low as I could go with it because I can easily see this matter taking up about 6 to 8 hours of time (considering necessary interaction with you via email and telephone calls, review and revision of the docs, putting it together into a legally acceptable document and the legal research time for NM law(s)) which means that I would be starting at an extreme disadvantage in the first place with no way to bill you for any additional time because I had already agreed not to seek anything additional so long as you forwarded the retainer deposit.

-

Perhaps what you might want to do is ask customer service to completely close this question on Just Answer and then you should probably put together a NEW question with a request for an estimate or quote to review the covenants and assist you in making a recordable legally enforceable covenant agreement between you and your neighbor under NM law. Attach the covenants that you already have to the Just Answer question so any attorney considering this quote will have the materials needed from you at their fingertips (and in your request you should point out the attached covenants for their review so they cannot claim later that they did not see any of the covenants prior to delivering a quote to you on this matter).

-

Please let me know how you want to proceed in this matter.

-

MARY

-

-

Legalease
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer