Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Cal Trans created a land locked parcel along I5 & Hwy 46…

Customer Question
Cal Trans created a land...
Cal Trans created a land locked parcel along I5 & Hwy 46 when they built I 5. Now they they want to widen the interchange and have offered $1 a sq ft for the landlocked parcel and $3 a sq ft for the adjacent parcel. Both parcels have the same zoning. Cal Trans appraiser feel the one parcel is worth $1 a sq ft since it is landlocked and doesn't have a ingress and egress easement. Is there case law or a statue regarding a issue such as this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/13/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, there is zero case law on this because appraisals or value of land is up to the appraisers and not the courts. The only thing the laws say about "landlocked" property is that the owner of that property is entitled to an easement across adjacent land closest to a road or highway so they can access the landlocked parcel. So the owner of the landlocked parcel can actually get an "easement by necessity"and calTrans would have to grant it to them. So this is negotiation power of the owner of the landlocked parcel in that they can force calTrans to give an easement by necessity.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer