How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118175
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Cal Trans created a land locked parcel along I5 & Hwy 46

Customer Question

Cal Trans created a land locked parcel along I5 & Hwy 46 when they built I 5. Now they they want to widen the interchange and have offered $1 a sq ft for the landlocked parcel and $3 a sq ft for the adjacent parcel. Both parcels have the same zoning. Cal Trans appraiser feel the one parcel is worth $1 a sq ft since it is landlocked and doesn't have a ingress and egress easement. Is there case law or a statue regarding a issue such as this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, there is zero case law on this because appraisals or value of land is up to the appraisers and not the courts. The only thing the laws say about "landlocked" property is that the owner of that property is entitled to an easement across adjacent land closest to a road or highway so they can access the landlocked parcel. So the owner of the landlocked parcel can actually get an "easement by necessity"and calTrans would have to grant it to them. So this is negotiation power of the owner of the landlocked parcel in that they can force calTrans to give an easement by necessity.