Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How can I transfer the ownership of my real estate to my…

Customer Question
How can I transfer the...
How can I transfer the ownership of my real estate to my husband before I die?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/13/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

You can accomplish this in two ways:

(1) by doing a Quitclaim Deed from you as the Grantor to you and your husband as Tenants by the Entirety as the Grantees. This means that once you have passed your husband becomes the sole owner of the property. You still have interest in the property while you are still alive;

(2) by doing a Quitclaim Deed from you as the Grantor to your husband as the Grantee. This means that you no longer have ownership interest in the property while you are still alive.

You can do the Quitclaim Deed by using your current Deed as a sample or retain a local real estate Attorney to prepare the Deed for you. You can also obtain sample Deed forms online.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Consumeradvocates.org