How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a condominium in Ohio four years ago. It has come

Customer Question

I bought a condominium in Ohio four years ago. It has come to my attention that unpermitted plumbing work had been done prior to my purchase and it has continued and is ongoing in the building. The association board president seems to believe that since the nature of the work is always required on an ongoing "emergency" basis, city permits and competitive bids are not required. Work is being done on a parts and labor basis with no contract or estimate. The same plumber is used for all work "because he knows the building." This all smells irregular to me. I am the owner of one of a total of ninety-six units. What liability do I have if I sell my unit? What recourse do I have? What would you do if you faced my situation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The simplest way to determine whether or not you have a problem is to contact your city permit/code enforcement office, explain what has been going on, and ask if a permit is necessary for work to be done. If so, you should inform the person you speak with about what has been going on and have someone come out and inspect everything, review permits or verify unpermitted work, etc.........then the association would be required to have the work re-done or done under a permit authority of some kind (whatever the city requires).

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

This would allow you to inform any buyer that all work has been done correctly and as permitted by the city code enforcement office, etc. Otherwise, you would have to disclose to a potential buyer that work was done without a permit on the home in order to be fully transparent.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Although this may cause some problems for the association, it is likely more important to verify whether the association is handling things correctly or not, as that affects all homeowners and potential buyers.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, please take time to positively rate our conversation. Thanks again!

Related Real Estate Law Questions