Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Our family owns 89 acres of land. We need to sell one acre…

Customer Question
Our family owns 89 acres...
Our family owns 89 acres of land. We need to sell one acre to a person who lives close to the property line.
They want to build a house on the one acre.
One family member does not agree. We, as a family, can not live on all of the land.
We want to help them to do it the legal way so they can pay their own taxes.
Can you help???
Esther McReynolds(###) ###-####
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/8/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon Esther,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unless all owners of the property will agree to sell an acre of land owned by all of you, then your only recourse is to file a Partition Action in court and ask the court to force the division of the property between all of the present owners by subdividing the property into equal portions so each present owner has an equal share. The one person can sell an acre of their share to this third party.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug