RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

13 years ago I was on drugs a teal estate broker boyfriend

Customer Question

13 years ago I was on drugs a teal estate broker boyfriend cheated me out of inherited property said it was worth tax value paid 50000 was worth 250000 bought it and got loan to pay me same day used his lawyer no one protected my interest I am off drugs and realize what he did what is statute of limitations
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. To bring a civil lawsuit for fraud, there would be a 2 year statute of limitations. The time would begin to run once you were off drugs and not under the influence of them and were aware of what happened. However, there is no statute of limitations for felony criminal offenses and based upon the value of the property, this may be filed as one. If you can show and prove that his intent was to defraud you and take advantage since he knew you were on drugs and did not know what you were doing, the State could try and file criminal charges and if so, could obtain restitution for you.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!