Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I purchase a foreclosure home in 1992 with 2 bedroom and one…

Customer Question
I purchase a foreclosure home...
I purchase a foreclosure home in 1992 with 2 bedroom and one bathroom upstairs and down stairs it has one bathroom, one bedroom, a small library, and a small office space. This home come up on the appraisal as a five room house which only includes the upstairs two bathroom and 1 bathroom. Where can I go to find the correct information on this home If the city doesn't have the correct information on this property?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/4/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Attorney 1, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

it sounds as though the former owner may have made changes to the property without permits, which is why the city does not have the correct information. One place you could check is the tax assessor's online website to see if the description is accurate or whether it matches the city's records. That might be one potential source for you. Better yet, you could hire an appraiser who comes out to the house, instead of providing an appraisal based on the city records. That way the appraiser can see the home and make decisions based on what he or she actually sees, or instead of using an online appraisal site. This will be the most accurate and reliable type of appraisal and is probably necessary in your circumstances.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, please let me know and I will continue providing assistance. If I have addressed your concerns or pointed you in a positive direction, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is how attorneys on this site are credited for the help we provide.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1