Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I own a Condo that hasn't complied with the electric updates…

Customer Question
I own a Condo that...
I own a Condo that hasn't complied with the electric updates they were told to do 8 1/2 yrs ago. I have redone mine about a year ago. They never follow through with anything. Problem they have no insurance because they did not do as they were told. Now they are borrowing money. Of course we have been hit up each time they fraud someone. We may never find another agent , as Citizens have evem rid them. THEY SAY they will remove everything and re-do and then make me pay a lg. assessment (they are charging dbl. of what the electric contractors have quoted). They also will enter into anyone's house no matter what we say. Is this legal???? If not may I also be free from the assessment? God bless you if you can answer this with surety. A lot of seniors here and we are worried. Those of us that have redone todays standards, are very upset. This will hurt us badly.HELP
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/3/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they are not performing the maintenance they are supposed to perform and they are also charging you for it, you need to first file a written complaint to the board and ask them to take action as they are in breach of the bylaws of the association for failure to make repairs. If they refuse, the members can actually sue the association for breach of the association covenants and bylaws and to force them to make the required repairs.
This is all they can do to fight the board, because these condo associations under FL law are allowed to pretty much make their own rules. If there are electrical problems, the residents can also file a complaint to the local building inspector as well and they will come out and cite the association to force them to make repairs.