How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29986
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A property owner next to mine has dumped fill dirt on my

Customer Question

A property owner next to mine has dumped fill dirt on my property. He has also filled his property to an illegal height. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The city may be able to come out and fine your neighbor for the illegal height to the property. However, if he's creating a danger of your property flooding as a result of his changes, then you have the ability to file a lawsuit for nuisance. A nuisance is when someone interferes with someone else's use and enjoyment of their property. The judge can order him to put the land back the way it was before and pay you for any damage that occurs to your property before it's fixed.

Dumping dirt on your property is a trespass. A judge can order him to pay the costs of removing the dirt AND order him to pay punitive damages in an amount high enough that he'll think twice before doing this again.

If you'd prefer to avoid going to court, a local attorney may be able to help send a demand letter to see if you can work things out without a lawsuit. A local attorney can also help you prepare a Complaint if you decide to sue. These types of cases are usually brought in a land court, if your area has one, or a district court, rather than Small Claims. A law library in your area should have books that show what a Complaint might look like, if you prefer to draft it yourself (most courts won't have forms for this type of thing).

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.