Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My issue is our township vacating a Paper street under the…

Customer Question
My issue is our...

My issue is our township vacating a Paper street under the premiss of the 21 year rule ***** ***** though there is a utility under it (a storm drain) can they release ownership to the neigboring property owners?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

We are located in Upper makfield Township, Bucks County , Pa 18977

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
2/1/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under PA law, where a municipality does not open the street within the twenty-one year period set forth in Section [1 of the Act of
1889], the abutting lot owners acquire the fee in the street to the center line. . . . see: Leininger v. Trapizona, 645 A.2d 437, 440 (Pa. Cmwlth. 1994). If they have not done so despite you filing a request to them, then you can seek to sue them for a ruling of ownership reverting to the abutting owners. The reversion to the abutting owners would be subject to the utility easement which would remain in effect.