Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My question is: what is the time bar to stop prohibited use…

My question is: what is...
My question is: what is the time bar to stop prohibited use on real estate in Colorado.
This is my second attempt to get an answer to my question on statute of limitations in Colorado. I am now posting the question under a different email address. Perhaps I will be able to respond this time. Note that I want the expert to provide me with an authoritative reference (and not merely say "3 years", or "1 year").
Seattle Scott has replied once, but I am not satisfied with the answer.
Here is the question: a parcel of land with many lots is covered by covenants. The covenants prohibit Use X. One Lot Owner engages in Use X. The question is: how long to bring a time action to stop Usage X by Lot Owner.? Seattle Scott referred me to CO statute which has a one year time bar. That time bar deals with situation where there is a BUILDING violation. There are a number of Colorado cases which state that where the 1-year time bar applies (to the BUILDING violation), then you cannot use the covenants to get around the 1 year rule (i.e., you cannot say "since covenants apply, the time bar should be extended beyond 1 year"). I am still waiting for a clear answer as to the statutory time limit where there is ONLY a usage violation, without any building violation. Please only reply if you know what the answer is for usage violation (and can support it with authority). You can also reply if you have authority which states that in Colorado, for the purposes of time bars, usage of land is equal to a building on land.
Please be advised I will pay quite a bit more than $36 for a fully comprehensive answer.
2/1/2016
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome back to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

There are several statutes of limitation because there are alternate causes of action you can plead here concerning the covenants.Your lawyer would look for some that are longer than a year here, there aer several that this might fall under that are three years.

Read this case it shows what I am talking about..

http://law.justia.com/cases/colorado/supreme-court/1962/19608.html

Again you want to plead alternate causes and seek at least some that are beyond the SOL

http://tslawpc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/statute-chart.pdf

Creative lawyer can claim discovery rule or tolling.

The Discovery Rule

Sometimes it is not reasonably possible for a person to discover the cause of an injury, or even to know that an injury has occurred, until considerably after the act which causes the injury. For example, an error in the drafting of a will might not be noticed until the will is being executed, decades after it was drafted, or a financial planner's embezzlement might not be noticed for years due to the issuance of false statements of account.

So again there may be several constructive ways to bring a civil suit claiming alternate causes here not beyond the SOL or that it should be tolled or discovery rule applies.

I was still providing you additional reference as you requested.I am so sorry you gave me a negative rating.Are you wanting follow up here, please just ask.

I am not satisfied with the answer. Let us say that the ONLY violation is a usage violation. What is the Statue of Limitation for the usage, violation, ignoring additional causes of action which might apply to Lot Owner.

If it is a building issue here..

Actions to enforce the terms

of a building restriction on

real property

One year

C.R.S. 38-41-119 (2009)

Begins at the date of violation

for which the action is sought

Actions to compel the

removal of any building or

improvement on land due to

violation of building

restrictions

One year

C.R.S. 38-41-119 (2009)

Begins at the date of violation

for which the action is sought

You might alternatively plead that the law does not cover this and the two year sol should apply here..

Actions for which there are

no set statutes of limitation

Two years

C.R.S. 13-80-102(i) (2009

Again no lawyer only pleads one cause of action if they know it has been more than a year they plead alternate causes.

Here are examples of cases against HOAs alternate pleadings and causes of action.

http://www.hindmansanchez.com/resources/article/homeowner-suits-against-community-associations/

You depend on your lawyer to plead and prove something that is not beyond the SOLs for Colorado here.They have to be creative in their claims to try to help you recover.

And the discovery rule/tolling can be argued for the ones that are beyond time of the SOL for that cause of action.Maybe it could not have been reasonably discovered or should be tolled here.

Another example of a case with alternate causes of action.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/Court_of_Appeals/opinion/2010/09CA1021.pdf

Usually the lawyer will use the shotgun method to plead alternatively without waiving the foregoing and add several causes of action hoping he can make at least some of them stick and make it hard to prevail on the SOL on each and every one.

This is generally complicated litigation to defend and often you overwhelm the other side here and settlement occurs.

Thanks again let me know if you have more follow up.I appreciate the chance to try and help you tonight.

Dear Ray
Please provide reference (e.g., case law) stating whether a usage violation is specifically covered by SOL, or whether it is one which is not specifically covered by a set statute of limitation. If you can't please release the answer to others. Sorry, I had to give you a 2-star rating because the instruction says "When finished, you must rate at the top to credit the Expert." I do not wish to give credit as the system may then assume that the question was satisfactorily answered. Please release the question to other experts. I will rectify the rating to more positive (if possible) once I receive a comprehensive answer from someone.

I am going to opt out here.As I have indicated to you there are no such cases.They all have multiple causes of action and some are going to be within the SOL

Brent Blanchard

Since no one has stepped in, I will try to give this a shot.

1. Implied in some of the answers above is the typically aggravating attorney answer of "It depends." You have been told that IF the violation of land use restriction(s) is construction, there is a 1-year statute of limitations. The "discovery rule" is unlikely to apply if that happens because the building is right there in plain sight. There could be some way that a violation could be "fraudulently concealed" by the offender, but nothing comes to mind offhand. But it sounds like that is not the "use X" that you are really asking about.

2. Also implied in the answers above is the "it depends" on what theory of recovery is in the lawsuit. There is a valid point that IF the theory of recovery is not explicitly set out in the Colorado statutes, the default, catch-all statute of limitations is 2 years. That's not long from several perspectives, but it is what it is.

3. Missing from the above answers is the question of what the restrictive covenant documents SAY. Many CC&Rs (which we cannot tell if there are any from your question as posed) for example have "non-waiver" clauses which prevent earlier failures to enforce restrictions from being an obstacle to deciding to start enforcing them later. Not sure if I have seen it, but being similar to contracts, CC&Rs could conceivably have their own statute of limitations--longer and possibly shorter. Courts are very reluctant to alter what people agreed to. (First time I saw that it was a bank depositor agreement which shortened the SoLimitations to only 1 year if the bank messed up in any way...good for them, bad for the folks victimized.)

4. If a prohibited land use is somehow behind closed doors or otherwise concealed from the neighbors, THEN the discovery rule would most likely apply. Two years catch-all from the date of discovery, OR (and this can kill a case) the date when it "could have been" discovered by the "exercise of reasonable diligence." So back to the bank example, not bothering to read your monthly statements is not reasonable diligence, so the contractual 1-year would start the minute the statement lands in your mailbox or inbox. I hope these legal principles help you understand why fraudulent concealment of wrongdoing can make the discovery rule operative long after the SoLimitations would have expired.

Finally, no one has been able to find a Colorado statute of limitations regarding land use violations other than the one already described above. The search would be helped greatly if the restriction were described, and the violating land use were also described.

Thank you.

Dear Brent
Thank you for taking the time for answering me, and for correctly identifying why I found the previous answer so annoying. In my question I stress that there is no Building violation, and that I want a clear reference to authority, yet the answer again refers me to the 1-year building statute of limitation, without any authority. While you have not referred me to authority either, you correctly identified that there is no case confirming a time bar on usage.Let's say the covenants say "thy shall not raise pigs on thy land". I proceed to raise pigs, for everyone to see, hear, and smell. You write that there is no statute of limitations in Colorado re usage violations. Since asking this question, I have been referred to a 1984 case which makes things worse. Even if the statute of limitations were only 2 days, one would never be able to rely on the statute of limitations! The usage violation is continuous. Every day of usage renews the right to action, and sets the clock back to zero : http://law.justia.com/cases/colorado/court-of-appeals/1984/81ca0400-0.html Barker v. Jeremiasen 676 P.2d 1259 (1984).But that very same case refers to an alternate defence (which, in that case, was not available) namely "the affirmative defenses of waiver and estoppel" to which one can add the word "laches" (no idea if laches is an additional defence, or a synonymous word to describe the same defence). So my question is now: how long can I continue to raise pigs for all to see, hear and smell, and then be able to continue doing so without any party being able to stop me because I will benefit from waiver/estoppel/leaches defence. What additional conditions must be satisfied for me to apply the defence? As always, to get full credit and a generous tip, please provide a reference (or two) to back up any assertion you make.
Many thanks.

Thank you very much for the clarification.

So you can know and read it yourself, some of Colorado's statutes of limitation are here: http://www.lpdirect.net/casb/crs/13-80-101.html

This is a pretty good article explaining how they work: http://research.lawyers.com/colorado/colorado-statutes-of-limitations.html

It also appears that my discussion of what might be called "hidden" land use violations helped focus the question quite a bit. From your example, the defenses of waiver and estoppel would not be available if the land use restrictions have a "no waiver" clause like what I described earlier. Laches can be a hard defense, because the burden of proof is on the defendant to show all of its elements: (1) full knowledge of the facts; (2) unreasonable delay in the assertion of available remedy; and (3) intervening reliance by and prejudice to another.” City of Thornton v. Bijou Irr. Co., 926 P.2d 1, 73 (Colo. 1996) (internal quotations omitted).

“The essential element of laches is unconscionable delay in enforcing a right under the circumstances, usually involving a prejudice to the one against whom the claim is asserted.”4 Loveland Camp No. 83 v. Woodmen Bldg & Benevolent Ass’n, 116 P.2d 195, 199 (Colo. 1941); see also Calvat v. Juhan, 206 P.2d 600, 604 (Colo. 1949); Robbins v. People, 107 P.3d 384, 388 (Colo. 2005).

Now, in the Hickerson v. Vessels case decided by the Co Supreme Court January of 2014, the ruling rejected an appeals court ruling that Laches is not a viable defense in a *debt collection case* if the lawsuit is filed within the statute of limitations. They refused to accept a separation of powers analysis on that, saying that the the Laches defense really can shorten the SoL, specifically for debt collections on the original, OR a re-started SoL (any later partial payment = a new promise to pay the debt, so the SoL clock starts running again.)

In general, the longer the delay, the more likely a waiver, estoppel, or laches defense will work. Same for the more the defendant has relied on the "enforcer" not bothering to enforce their rights.

These principles should apply even for "continuing violation" situations like nuisance actions--but specifically for nuisance, I don't think I have ever heard of those defenses working. Just hasn't come up.

Thank you.

Brent Blanchard