Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My sister is PR of our fathers estate and we are both

beneficiaries. I am not sure...
My sister is PR of our fathers estate and we are both beneficiaries. I am not sure her choice in how the items are to be divided is right. She agrees to have the collectible items appraised but the majority is just stuff but some items are meaningful to me and these will not be appraised. She does not want much because she will be leaving the country when the estate is settled. She wants to place an arbitrary value on the items I want and decrease the monetary amount I receive by 1/2 that amount. For example: I choose a 75year old bedroom set she thinks it is worth $1000.00, she decreases my inheritance by $500.00. Can she decide the value on every item, not appraised? Even a painting my mother did 60years ago on sand paper! It seems to be a conflict of interest. I do not feel it honors our father's estate to be treated as such. The will reads: "I give all of property in shares substantially equal value to my daughters."
I understand collectibles need to be appraised, but how are tangible items decided with no real value? She states I can have the sentimental items without cost, but does she decide what is sentimental? This is uncharted territory for me. Thank you for your help.
2/1/2016
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

You should have an outside appraiser put a value on each item, and then you can make an equitable division. That is the only fair way. It will not cost too much for the appraiser, and if you two continue to fight about it, that is what the judge will ultimately order, so you might as well go right to that step and save all the legal fees and hassle.

Another way to do it is not to put a specific value on any item, but just take turns picking which items you want. Lay everything out on a table, or go through the house with post its and take turns deciding which items you want. You can flip a coin to determine who picks first and then take turns that way. This method is even fairer, because each of you will get to choose the items that are most important to you, regardless of the value that any appraiser puts on it. And you won't have to make a determination of what is sentimental value and what is cash value. You just take turns picking the items starting by picking those items that are most important to you.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best. Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question now.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer