Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

On a short sale that Title closed with a hud one, the buyer…

Customer Question
On a short sale that...
On a short sale that Stewart Title closed with a hud one, the buyer used first American, the buyer then sold it again to a new buyer, that fire used Chicago Title, they caught, a warrant to an investor partner, who had 50% interest in the property.
Who is responsible? The party who had the warrant won't sign off on it until he gets money, the title company is trying to get money from the other 50% partner to right off the warrant,
From Dave Harwood,(###) ###-####could you please phone me regarding this, or email your opinion to f harwood 5 at gmail.com, I thank you so much.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/31/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Roger, Lawyer

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The last title company that wrote title insurance would likely be liable for the title issue......it may then have rights to go against the previous title companies depending on the terms of the policies.....but the last one to issue a policy is likely going to be the one liable for the present issue.

Most title insurance policies expire when the loan related to the title insurance is paid off or satisfied....so you'd need to check on that as well.