P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
11181181

Can we cancel a listing agreement with an agent in order to

Customer Question

can we cancel a listing agreement with an agent in order to sign with another agent. Present agent has had listing for over a year with no sale. Can we cancel the agreement or do we have to wait until it expires.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

What you are describing? If you are in contract, you have to abide by the terms of the contract. So you can not cancel and hire a new agent until the contract expires. If you do? The old agent could sue you for commission on any sale

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.