How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Arbitrator
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is about real estate 1031 tax law. I recently sold a

Customer Question

This is about real estate 1031 tax law.
I recently sold a condo, the proceed is going into 1031 exchange to buy a new investment property.
Now I am thinking about selling the 2nd condo and use its proceed to put into the same new property as 1031 exchange as well.
However, the new property's escrow might close before i sell the 2nd condo.
Can I use the proceed from the 2nd sale to pay off the loan on this new investment property and still qualify for 1031?
Or how to tie the second sale proceed with the first sale proceed so they both are used on the same new investment property as IRS allows?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

No, to qualify for a 1031 exchange, one must sell real estate and acquire other replacement real estate. The pay down or pay off of debt on another property, whether your principal residence or investment property, is not an acquisition of real estate and will not qualify as a tax deferred exchange under Section 1031 of the Internal Revenue Code.

Unfortunately it is not a like kind exchange.

I am including some links for your reference that support this:,-Depreciation,-Rentals/Sales,-Trades,-Exchanges/Sales,-Trades,-Exchanges-2

This does a good job of explaining it:

since the new investment property is already acquired, it fails the requirements for the 1031.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information provided was useful.

Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:

Should you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly

--- Rate Positively---
so the site credits me for assisting you.

Thank you and take care!