How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27591
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am considering renting an apartment daughter, who is in

Customer Question

I am considering renting an apartment for my daughter, who is in college in Queens NY. The rental unit has four rooms and the rent of 2,600 will be split 4 ways. The real estate agent said that there will be one lease with all four students names on it, which means that if one or more students become delinquent in paying, we will be responsible for the entire rent. Is there any way I can protect myself from that happening? Also the agent said she requires a brokerage fee of one months rent up front. Does that sound appropriate? is there anything else I need to consider in signing a rental lease? I have never rented before. We own a home.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. In regard to the lease, that is true. The only way to avoid this is to get the landlord to agree to allow each individual to be solely responsible for their portion of the rent. As such, they would each need to pay 1/4. However, the landlord is not likely going to do this, since it limits their ability to recover and who to go after, if the rent is not paid. Now, as far as the fee for the agent, that is common but you can see if the landlord would agree to cover the cost or share it, so you do not need to incur it or ask that it be split 4 ways, with the other tenants. Just be aware that if you sign and there is an issue or problem, you can be liable and sued, for the money owed. You need to make sure that if the other students sign and/or their parents, that they are responsible and will pay for their child, if something happens.

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!