Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I rented an office recently purpose of trading securities,

Customer Question

I rented an office recently for the purpose of trading securities, which includes foreign currency trading. the forex exchange is open 24 hours a day. many times me or one of my employees need to monitor the market throughout the nite. the London and Japanese exchanges open at about 1am and 5pm. my landlord is complaining that the office wasn't rented on the basis that I could use the office during the nite. my understanding is that when a tenant rents space, the tenant is able to use the space whenever he wants.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Unless your lease specifically restricts the times that you are allowed to use and be in possession of the property, then the landlord is out of luck and if you wanted to work 24/7, that is entirely your legal right. You are in legal possession of the property for the entire period of your lease and unless the lease specifically states it, you can use it during that entire term.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks