Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can I ask HUD statements when paying cash house, one that…

Customer Question
Can I ask for two...
Can I ask for two HUD statements when paying cash for a house, one that shows the sale closer to the appraised value for tax reasons?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/28/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer

Unfortunately, no, since the closing statement is a signed statement showing the actual cash accounting of the transaction. No closing agent would sign off on fraudulent closing figures. Additionally, if you presented the fraudulent HUD1 to support a tax position you would be guilty of tax fraud.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.