Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My Mother's foundation in her condo is faulty and creating…

Customer Question
My Mother's foundation in...

My Mother's foundation in her condo is faulty and creating water leakage behind the her walls and in turn mold coming through the drywall. We were given in writing several documents from the owner and realtor prior to purchase stating that these issues had been addressed, well first big rain after my Mother moved in and hello water leak. My Mother's condo is a sub basement unit, so 3 out of 4 walls are below ground level. I only thought my Mother was responsible for studs in since this is what it states in her Condo Insurance, however the Property Management Company wants my Mother to pay to have the foundation fixed or have her insurance cover it, which they won't because her condo insurance doesn't cover the exterior walls of the condo or the foundation. I'm confused how the Property Management company can take this stance other than wanting to pass the buck to my Mother and not involve their own insurance on the building, any suggestions other than taking them to court?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My Mother has water coming through her condo walls, the condo is partially below ground, there is a foundation issue causing water to come in through her walls, the Property Management Company wants her to fix the foundation or her insurance to cover the fixing of the foundation. It's a condo, I don't believe my Mother owns the foundation, her insurance states she only owns from the studs inwards, not the physical outside of the condo building, they are not townhomes, set up more like apartments.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/28/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 2 years ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

What state is this in regards ***** *****?

Tina, Lawyer