Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a question about living estates in Florida. My

Customer Question
Hello! I have a question...
Hello! I have a question about living estates in Florida. My step-father has a living estate on property that my mother left to me and my siblings when she passed. The deed is in our names only. Recently I was made aware that my step-father (1) hasn't paid the property taxes for 2015, and (2) has become mentally incapacitated and was placed in a nursing home approx. 1-2 years ago. What I need to know is can we take the property over now, or is there nothing we can do until he passes away? Truthfully, I want to pay the taxes, and if possible, be able to move onto the property if we can. I'm reaching retirement years and would like to retire on that property. I live out of state right now, but plan to move the fall of this year (2016).
Thanks
Gerald S. Thompson
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/28/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

What I need to know is can we take the property over now, or is there nothing we can do until he passes away?

.

Yes, you can file an action against him in court for "Waste", which is the legal term when a life tenant is not taking care of or paying the taxes and upkeep on a life tenant property interest, and have a judge issue an order that his life estate is terminated. Then your and siblings remainder interest is accelerated to full legal possession. This is something that you would need a local FL real estate attorney to assist with getting the life estate terminated.

.

.

thanks