How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 16378
Experience:  13 years experience in RE Law, including LL/Tenant, contractor disputes, comm'l prop. issues
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received property in divorce settlement, and I can't

Customer Question

I received property in divorce settlement, and I can't contact my ex wife. How do I get it put in my name?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --


TYpically you need the other party to sign the property over to you even in a divorce situation. However, if she is refusing to sign or simply dodging your calls, you will have to go back to the family court and file a motion of contempt of court against her for failing to comply with the divorce decree. SHe will then have to appear and the court will force her to sign the paperwork or if she fails to appear after a few attempts you can then ask the court for a court order which puts the property in your name alone as part of the divorce (the court will not do that right away -- you will have to show attempts at filing motions against her and contacting her before they will permit a court order to be used in place of her signature). So, my suggestion here is that you contact the clerk;s office of the family court where you were divorced and ask if they have any forms that you can use for the motion for contempt of court. You then complete the form and serve it at her last known address and is she failed to appear you can start asking the court to issue an order to grant you the property without her signature (by order of the court) -- the court may require a few more attempts to get her into court but in the end you will either get her signature on the documents OR the court will order that the property is yours without such a signature.


Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time (the middle star and the fourth and fifth stars on the right are positive ratings). Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU



Related Real Estate Law Questions