Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I have relatives that live in Ocoee Mountain Club in

Customer Question

Customer: My name is***** I have relatives that live in Ocoee Mountain Club in Tennessee. Tennessee currently does not have any statutes covering HOAs. This particular HOA is terrible--picking and choosing who they charge for late dues, what they charge. Current dues are 350 per year, and they do not even have roads completed yet. No amenities, no clubhouse, no pool, no street lights, etc...and they pay a maintenance person $35,000 per year to mow lawns and tell new homeowners they must use him for work on their homes in the name of the HOA. Maintenance person is horrible and not licensed. What if anything can they do? And how enforceable are the dues w/o statutes?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What details do you need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a lawyer licensed in Tennessee. I'll be glad to assist.

Since there currently isn't a HOA statute or act in Tennessee, most HOA's are governed by the Tennessee Nonprofit Corporation Act, Title 48, Chapter 51. But, that doesn't address every issue that arises in a HOA system, and because of that fact, HOA's are simply creatures of contract...and the contract/HOA agreement/bylaws/CC&R's govern the operation of the association.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

That said, the dues are collectible if your relatives contracted to pay them......similarly, the HOA is bound to act in accordance with the rules and provide the services outlined in the agreement as well.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If the HOA is not providing what it agreed to make available for the members, then the member/s can sue for breach of contract and for specific performance and ask the court to compel the HOA to act in accordance with the contract.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Obviously they need to hire a lawyer, can you recommend someone near Ocoee, TN?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that'd be the best option for them. They can have a lawyer review their documents and see what their obligations and options are with the HOA that appears to be failing it its obligations.

We can't refer site customers to s particular lawyer, but I can recommend that you visit www.martindale.com and search for an attorney in their town by area of practice.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting.