Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Do I need an attorney small claim against my old landlord?

Customer Question
Do I need an attorney...
Do I need an attorney for a small claim against my old landlord? Security deposit not refunded in full
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/26/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

The small claims limit in Maryland is $5,000 and you don't need an attorney to represent you. So if your claim is under that, no attorney is necessary. The court clerk will have the summons and complaint forms you need to file to start the case. Then you show up on the assigned court date and present your case. If you win, you are also entitled to your court costs in addition to any damages.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

thanks

I aspirate your response. I could not get your response on line, so I left the web site as all they wanted was to get me to sign up for services I did not want. Thank you for the answer and I will file the necessary forms with the court in my area.
Tom magruther

You are very welcome. And you are under no obligation at all to sign up for a subscription if you don't want one. If there is any question about whether you might have accidentally done so, you can contact JustAnswer's customer service dept to have them check and cancel it if you accidentally did click on one of their banners to subscribe.

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks much