Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I need to do a quitclaim to take my ex wife off of the title…

Customer Question
I need to do a...
I need to do a quitclaim to take my ex wife off of the title to my rental property in Florida. How do I go about doing this? And what cost are involved?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/26/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA.Ray here to help you tonight.

You can do this yourself.You complete the form here, the ex is the grantor and you the grantee.You would put your name in t he prepared by at top.You will need the legal description.Ex as to sign it in front of notary.You file it in the county deed records.They film it and return original to you for your records.

Forms here..

http://www.clayclerk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Quitclaim-Deed.pdf

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

What about the costs involved?

The only costs here if you do it yourself would be small filing fee.

The base filing fee for Florida quit claim deeds is $6 for the first page, and $4.50 for each additional page

If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.Thanks again.

WRONG. In Florida you have to pay doc stamps. You sir, do not know what you're talking about. Check out this link: http://www.eanswer.com/real-estate-law/5vjc5-want-file-quitclaim-deed-state-florida.html

I'm sorry I thought you were asking what the filing fees were.If you u are filing the deed then you would have to pay the stamp tax to transfer the property.

The tax here is due if the property has a mortgage, not assessed if there is no mortgage.Again thanks for letting me clarify here.