Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Raise in rent? I moved in with this gentleman 3 months ago.

Customer Question

Customer: Raise in rent? I moved in with this gentleman 3 months ago. He did not tell me that his lease was up at the end of these 3 months. Now, we are moving to another home in Leisure Village and he wants to raise my rent $100. My question is: is it reasonable and/or legal to raise my rent so soon? Is $100 too much to raise at one time. He has also not given me a written notice? What are my rights?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am on a month-to-month lease. I have paid my rent on time every month. He is also abusive and nit-picking. Complains about everything I do or don't do. He complains that I get up too early; I work. He complains that I slam my bedroom door day and night, which is not true.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Which state are you located in?