Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If a Golf membership was deeded with purchase of unit can I…

Customer Question
If a Golf membership was...
If a Golf membership was deeded with purchase of unit can I get out of this since I do not play Gold ? Same for Social Membership they forced me into
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/25/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Sorry...I do not understand the question. Can you give some context...

You purchased a home and now want to back out? Is that correct?

Nono I bought a Coach home and it cam with a Golf Membership. I played once on that course but for health reasons I do not want to play. I pay a lot of dues for this membership and never use it so my question is: Can I get out of this deeded Membership?

Ahhh...thank you

One more...you mention "deeded membership"...are you are referring to the restrictions on the deed to the home?

It came with the purchase of the unit

Thank you
What you are describing is often referred to as a CC&R (Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions)

These restrictions "run with the land"
If you own a home with CC&R's? You are responsible for the fees associated. There is no way to "opt out"

The best way to approach this, if you do not want to pay the fees? Is sell the home

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can opt out since you do not play....but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Follow up

P. Simmons, Lawyer