Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am a landlord in Pennsylvania, I just realized one of my

Customer Question
Hi, I am a landlord...
Hi, I am a landlord in Pennsylvania, I just realized one of my tenant signed in landlord line, and I signed on one of the tenant line instead. I am having the court processing with them next week. At this moment, is the lease still valid in Pennsylvania according the law? Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/24/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. I understand your medical bills were around $16K. If that is the extent of all medical bills? If you do not anticipate further medical bills? And you have not suffered an injury that will impact your earning potential?

I would strongly consider negotiating this without a lawyer (taking the money and moving on)

On the other hand...if you anticipate more medical bills? Or if the injuries will limit your ability to earn income going forward? Then it may be worth retaining a lawyer.

This is all about "potential" award at trail...what you are describing, this key issue will be what is your likely award at trail.

IF you have lost the ability to earn income and/or have significant future medical bills? That would be a factor that would allow a jury to give a significant award at trial. And that is the only reason you would want to hire a lawyer and share a significant portion of that award with them (the 30% - 40% is a fairly common split for attorneys who work contingency)

But once you hire the lawyer? They get their cut regardless...so if you go to trail...and get the $16K for medical and say $4K for other damages? After you pay the lawyer you wind up "loosing" money.

Bot***** *****ne: unless you can show significantly more "damages" (either in future medical bills or loss if income potential)? Likely best to take the settlement

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Legally, this would be considered a "scriveners error"

It would not, in and of itself, void the lease.

You would be able to enforce the lease, despite this error

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My question is the rental lease agreement between my tenant and me. One of tenant sign on the landlord line which supported to be landlord signature, and landlord sign on the tenant signature line line instead. Is the rental lease agreement still vaild in Pennsylvania according to law?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I am sorry...no idea why...but it seems the site "crossed wires" (took an answer from two questions and combined).

The error is a "scriveners error"

The lease is valid

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
could you please send me any statement about "scrieners error" still make lease voild? I am worried about my tenant will mention about the error in the court, so I can show it to them or judge. Thank you!

Just a moment please

Here is a PA case that describes what I am explaining

http://www.novackmacey.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Sunoco-Partners-LLC-v.-Ronald-A.-Russo-Decision-11-15-13.pdf

This shows that a scriveners error will not void a contract

P. Simmons, Lawyer