Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We have a judgement against us in small claims court in our…

Customer Question
We have a judgement against...
We have a judgement against us in small claims court in our local town. A neighbor was storing a canoe on our property without asking permission. The canoe was under a tree with brush all around it. We had no idea it was there. We were clearing the tress for the property and backed into it causing a small crease. The judge stated we had to pay for a new canoe $800. We submitted it to the appeals count but due to not filing the paper work correctly. We want to take it to the appealed count. Not sure if we will win that or not but my question is since the person storage the canoe on our property for over 2 weeks without our permission can we charge him a fee for storage? Lets say $1000? We are willing to pay a lawyer to help us with this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/23/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Generally, if there is no written contract for any storage fees, the court might allow reasonable storage fees in similar case, but the fees would generally not exceed $100 per month.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!