Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I live in NC and I have paid my rent before the 5th every

Customer Question

I live in NC and I have paid my rent before the 5th every month and our landlord made a small claims case against us saying that we owe him 15 dollars because we didn't pay the late fee. He sent it to us before the 5th and we have never paid after the 5th. I keep reading that NC laws says you can't send a late fee before the 5th (five days after rent is due), is this true? It doesn't state anything about the late fees other than how much it will be if we don't pay rent on time.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I believe you are right. Here is the applicable statute: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_42/GS_42-46.html