Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I had direct Tv. My landlord took my dish of the roof and…

Customer Question
Hello my name is *****...
Hello my name is ***** *****. I had direct Tv. My landlord took my dish of the roof and did not return it to me. I received a note when I got home stating that she would be taking down the satellite dish the same day. She did not get people qualified people to do it. They cut my internet cable that was through time Warner. I had cable and internet when I left for work this morning and when I returned home both were takin from me. No prior notice for cutting my internet cable. My phone number is(###) ###-####..
***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/22/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Attorney 1, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

I'm sorry to hear of this frustrating situation, but happy to say that you do have recourse. If you rented the unit with DirecTV intact, it is part of the package and cannot now be taken away. Doing so constitutes a reduction in housing services and is not permitted. You have a right to demand return of your DirecTV and repair of your internet cable, and should do so in writing. If not remedied within a reasonable period of time, you may have a right to reduction rent to compensate for the loss, and may be able to make the repairs on your own with the deduction in rent to follow. Just be careful if you choose the remedy, because landlords often file evection actions when tenants take this route, claiming nonpayment of rent. The best thing to do would be let the court decide ahead of time. More on that in a moment.

It looks like you live in Los Angeles, which pretty stringent rent stabilization laws. If you live in a rent controlled property, and if your demand for repair/replacement goes unheeded, you can file a complaint with the rent stabilization department which could order the landlord to remedy the problem or provide you with the reduction in rent. You could also bring a direct lawsuit against the landlord to have your services restored, if it gets to that point . Given in your area code, the action would likely be filed and heard in Santa Monica (neither downtown nor Beverly Hills hears landlord/tenant actions anymore. The judges there are strict about tenants who don't pay rent, but don't hesitate to step in where tenants are not getting the benefit of the bargain.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know. I'm here to help. If I have addressed your issue, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted.

Good luck!

Best,

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. If I have addressed your issue, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help provided.

Best,

Attorney 1