How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42828
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If the owners of the property behind me are not interested

Customer Question

If the owners of the property behind me are not interested in a cooperative effort to create better drainage of our properties, (I am the one most impacted by the flood situation, and I am not sure how they will feel about the situation), would I have any legal recourse since the water coming from their property floods me? Their property drains out quickly, and mine does not. We are both horse stable business owners. Our operations are quite different, but recently there has been some heretofore unprecedented animosity that makes me think that there may be a little professional jealousy. Also, they do not own but lease their property.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome back.You still may be able to put in such drainage.As long as it does not harm their property here you would be fine.From what you state the drainage would help it to go back to the river and not harm the neighbors in doing so.

You may want get a bid from a local contractor and then talk to the county about any permits you need.And then you could write the property owners not the leases to see if they would go along.You can go it along if you have too.

I appreciate the chance to help you again.Thanks.