Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If the owners of the property behind me are not interested…

Customer Question
If the owners of the...
If the owners of the property behind me are not interested in a cooperative effort to create better drainage of our properties, (I am the one most impacted by the flood situation, and I am not sure how they will feel about the situation), would I have any legal recourse since the water coming from their property floods me? Their property drains out quickly, and mine does not. We are both horse stable business owners. Our operations are quite different, but recently there has been some heretofore unprecedented animosity that makes me think that there may be a little professional jealousy. Also, they do not own but lease their property.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/22/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome back.You still may be able to put in such drainage.As long as it does not harm their property here you would be fine.From what you state the drainage would help it to go back to the river and not harm the neighbors in doing so.

You may want get a bid from a local contractor and then talk to the county about any permits you need.And then you could write the property owners not the leases to see if they would go along.You can go it along if you have too.

I appreciate the chance to help you again.Thanks.