How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We rented a park model from Casa Del Valle. We paid every

Customer Question

We rented a park model from Casa Del Valle. We paid every Friday. We moved into the park around the Dec.4, 2015. On Dec. 7, we were formed that we had to vacate the park model by Dec. 28 as the trailer was reserved for another tenant. On Dec. 23 we vacated the trailed. When I turned the keys in I was informed by Karen ( Casa del Valle ) employee that since we had paid up for the week we would get a refund of $ 109.00. She said it would take about 3 to 4 weeks and it would be in the form of a check. I said since we paid you in cash we should get refunded in cash. Karen said "no" it does not work that way. It (refund) comes from corporate office. I called on Jan. 15, 2016 and was told by Karen and Joseph ( Manager ) we were not getting a refund. I contacted an attorney.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

While they are correct in that they do not have to refund the money in the form of cash (a check from the landlord is sufficient tender), unless they can provide you with a viable withholding basis for the refund (i.e. damage to the unit), you have a claim for breach of contract against them.

Here is an excellent website to assist you:

And here is a sample demand letter you can use:

If you decide to sue them in small claims, you can utilize this information (you do not need a lawyer in small claims court):

You can also report the business to the Texas Attorney General for fraudulent and unfair business practices: (the AG's office does not recover your money for you, but they do investigate consumer complaints and take administrative and criminal enforcement action against bad businesses).

Related Real Estate Law Questions