Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in a duplex 3 family house with out the landlord

Customer Question
living in any of the...
I live in a duplex 3 family house with out the landlord living in any of the units. I just found out that the monthly rent will increase by 8.40% The original lease expired about 10 years ago and no new lease was signed after the original expired. I live in Queens County New York.
Is this rent hike legal that we have no signed lease?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/20/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Because the lease was never renewed 10 years ago, all of this time you have been a Month to Month tenant and the landlord is free to increase the rent if they want to by giving you at least one month advanced notice. If you don't want to pay the additional rent you can give notice of your intent to end the month to month tenancy and find a new home to move to. That is you right as a month to month tenant.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug