Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

MY GRANDDAUGHTER IS IN A GH END APARTMENT IN TAMPA - AND

Customer Question

MY GRANDDAUGHTER IS IN A HIGH END APARTMENT IN TAMPA - AND LIVES ALONE. THERE IS A WOMAN WHO LIVES IN THE BUILD - NOBODY KNOWS HER NAMES OR WHERE SHE LIVES - WHO HAS BEEN HARASSING MY GRANDDAUGHTER. SHE ACTUALLY PULLED A HAND GUN ON HER TONIGHT. MY GRANDDAUGHTER WAS IN CLASS ALL DAY - SHE IS A SERIOUS STUDENT AND DOESN'T MAKE NOISE OR ANY DISTURBANCE. MY GRANDDAUGHTER CALLED THE POLICE WHO DID COME OUT AND INVESTIGATE - BUT NOBODY KNOWS WHERE THIS WOMAN LIVES.(WHAT APARTMENT) THEY TOLD MY GRANDDAUGHTER THAT THE POLICE HAVE BEEN CALLED BY OTHER TENANTS ON SEVERAL OTHER OCCASIONS. MY GRANDDAUGHTER IS TERRORIZED. WHAT ARE HER RIGHTS?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If daughter can find out who this person is, then she can file a formal criminal complaint for terroristic threatening, wanton endangerment, harassment, brandishing a weapon, and anything else the police can come up with for her actions. The problem will be in identifying her. If daughter can take a picture of her with a cell phone, then the police can take that to the landlord to find out who she is so she can be charged.

.

Daughter can then get a restraining order issued against this woman to have no contact at all with her or she can be arrested for violating a restraining order and face up to a year in jail. She could also use the restraining order as grounds to terminate her lease and move if she chose to do so..

.

But as for the landlord, they aren't liable for the criminal actions of a third party or another tenant. Only the woman can be held liable for her actions and only if daughter can positively identify her for the police.

.

.

thanks

.