How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The facts: A person (hereinafter "Fraudster") who doctored a

Customer Question

The facts:
A person (hereinafter "Fraudster") who doctored a Grant Deed, and a couple declarations of homesteads with the help of a public notary, filed with the LA County Recorder's office a fraudulent deed forging an elderly gentleman signature (hereinafter "Elder") which granted the fraudster 50 percent interest in the elder's real property. Unknown to the elder the fraudster submits for recording the forged instruments. Elder dies leaving a will granting brother full interest in property. Then the brother dies shortly after and does not leave a will. The successor of interest, the brother's son (hereinafter plaintiff), who was the nephew of the original elder decedent, discovers the fraud by the fraudster by reviewing all recorded documents at the County recorders office. Fraudster has now submitted more instruments to the recorder claiming the he has 100% interest and places the property in a land trust naming a trustee and second trustee.
Having overwhelming evidence of forgery and fraud and issues of concealment by both the fraudster and the notary (notary did not forfeit journals after commission ended to recorders office). Then when questioned by Sheriff's detective, notary claimed the journals lost or stolen three years prior and never reported the loss or theft to Secretary of state. (Several violations of Govt. Code)
The Plaintiff files both a petition for probate and a civil unlimited verified complaint for 1. FOR DECLARATORY RELIEF; 2. TO QUIET TITLE TO REAL PROPERTY,
MISREPRESENTATION, 5. CONVERSION against the fraudster, trustee, 2nd trustee and notary.
The probate matter and civil matter after the initial hearing was transferred to the same judge hearing the civil case, stating the cases eventually will be combined.
Notary demurrers complaint claiming statute of limitations. Opposition is filed arguing statute of limitations not run for violations in govt. code, fraud by concealment of journals. Plaintiff essentially wins but granted leave to amend. Plaintiff files First Amended Verified complaint with changes. Notary files 2nd demurrer on grounds that the notary journals were submitted to recorder (doesn't state when and we know they were submitted after the recent Certification of Non-filing was provided by the recorder's office and after notary originally stated they were lost or stolen, thinking that this will have any impact on allegations pled to.
Here is the issue...
Additional to this ridiculous argument, notary is now claiming that the matter be dismissed pursuant to CCP section 377.22 for failing to provide an affidavit stating that “No proceeding is now pending in California for administration of the decedent’s estate,” was ever filed. It is true none was ever filed, however a verified complaint was submitted alleging all the facts of Plaintiff being Successor of interest. The Plaintiff petitioned the court to be appointed special administrator and that decision will be heard 7 days before the demurrer is scheduled to be heard. It would have happened sooner if it wasn't for the fraudster filing for a continuance as well as his opposition to Plaintiff's appointment as special administrator, which there are no grounds for and pretty obvious of fraud.
Question is: How to oppose demurrer, is this case subject to 377.22. The only defendant that does not have an interest in the property under probate is the notary. This issue was not address in prior demurrer and its been over 6 months since case was originally filed and determination that Plaintiff is special administrator will be decided before the demurrer is heard. What to do about this? Want to preserve civil case and not let this corrupt notary get away. Could the civil case be voluntarily dropped and then re-filed including affidavit after the Plaintiff is appointed special administrator.
I need a specific well cited answer to the problem. Any good opposing argument to demurrer and a course of action please, thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction the two applicable CCP sections are 377.21 and 377.32
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already submitted my question. I will raise the amount to $75 dollars, but I need a methodical course of action, and some arguments with citations that will be effective in an opposition.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.


What you're requesting is something that I cannot perform without being guaranteed payment for my time, because substantial time is required to research and draft a competent legal memorandum. Unfortunately, the Justanswer business model does not provide for contributors to be guaranteed payment in advance. Consequently, the only way I can accommodate your requirements is to make an additional services offer, so that we can take this matter offline and attempt to negotiate a suitable arrangement.

If this is something you're interested in doing, please let me know, and I'll send the offer. If not, then I'll reopen the question for others to consider providing you with assistance.

Please advise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am ok with this arrangement. What is your offer and do you believe we can oppose this demurrer regarding CCP 377.32
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to step out for about an hour and a half, then I will be back. Is there anything you need from me, before I go in case you wanted to start to work on this now. I will be available via text as I set my last message to you from my phone.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

The offer is only an invitation to negotiate. If we can't make a deal, you can get a refund of your payment from Justanswer customer service.

Re whether or not you can prevail, I haven't conducted the research, so I can't possibly answer your question. That's' the whole point of my offer. You have a difficult procedural issue which may or may not succeed. I can't answer without spending an hour to research the issue, and for that I need to be paid for my time.

Anyway, I'll send the offer and you can accept or decline at your convenience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand that I must pay Just Answer and you will be charging me an additional and separate fee. Before we do this, I would like to know how much the additional services will be. Can you advise me what you had in mind?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I accepted the offer and paid the $47 dollars. I will send contact information now.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Thanks in advance for your confidence.

1. I cannot initiate contact with you. Please contact me using the information provided.

2. Please stop further correspondence with me at this website, or you may (probably will) lose your right to assert the attorney-client privilege in our ongoing communications.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!