Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What are squatters rights in Oregon? I've been staying in…

Customer Question
What are squatters rights in...
What are squatters rights in Oregon? I've been staying in this house for about a month, expecting to stay longer, and now the person who invited me to stay has changed their mind due to some unfortunate circumstances that look very bad for me. We were robbed over new years while I was watching his dog. He thinks I did it...but I did not. I'm having trouble finding a way to move my belongings, and he is becoming more and more aggressive about making me leave. Am I allowed to invoke squatters rights here?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/17/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If you have been living there over a brief time and have moved your personal belongings in, then you would gain the legal rights of an occupant. This means that if the tenant or owner of the property want to force you to leave, they have to give you a written 30 day notice to terminate your occupancy. (Ore. Rev. Stat. §§ 91.070, 90.427, 90.275)

,

After that, if you didn't vacate, then they have to pursue a formal eviction through the courts to obtain a judgment and a writ of possession that the sheriff would then execute to physically force you to leave and deliver legal possession to the landlord. This takes about 3-4 weeks after the 30 day notice expires, depending on the court's and sheriff's schedules.

..

.

thanks