Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can I operate a stereo shop on my industrial 2 zoned

Customer Question
property in Woodward Oklahoma....
Can I operate a stereo shop on my industrial 2 zoned property in Woodward Oklahoma.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
1/16/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I do not believe you can as industrial zones generally are for manufacturing areas where customer visits are at a minimum.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Real Estate Lawyer: MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer

Hello. I am going to be assisting you with your question today.

Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is it zoned I-1, I-2, or I-3?

I-3. No walk in customers. R & D and phone orders. Neighbors in residential area are filing noise complaints

What is generating the noise?

The I-3 District is intended to provide locations for those industrial uses that may generate relatively high levels of noise, vibrations, smoke, dust, odor or light. These industrial uses are incompatible with residential uses. For this reason it is desirable that they be located downwind, and as far away as possible, from residential and most commercial uses.

That's the definition for I-3 zoning, so you shouldn't be having an issue if your property was already zoned I-3 prior to the surrounding residential happening. Your industrial zoning is the highest level of industrial zoning permissible. The neighbors can complain all they want, however, you are within the definition of what your land is zoned.