How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is a lawyer needed to add joint tenants to a mortgage? My

Customer Question

Is a lawyer needed to add joint tenants to a mortgage? My father has recently died. My sisters and I have been paying the mortgage and we want to add our names to the mortgage deed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and my condolences on your loss. When you say "add" them to the mortgage, do you mean the actual deed (the document that indicates ownership of the property) or did you actually mean to say mortgage (the document that indicates a secured debt to a lender)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Add names to the deed
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 1 year ago.

And I assume that it was only in your father's name?