How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J. Warren Your Own Question
J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2249
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
J. Warren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I took over house payments on existing real estate loan and

Customer Question

I took over house payments on existing real estate loan and had the property deeded to me. The previous owner changed the fire insurance to a landlord policy and never put my name on it. It is and FHA loan so the insurance would not talk to me even though I was making the payments that paid for that insurance through the monthly payments I was making to the bank. The bank was aware I was in itile and making the payments.. My house burned down right before Christmas, The previous owner helped contact insurance for the claim and signed a notarized letter asking Farmers to send me the money. Now he has changed his mind and said he is keeping the insurance. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I look forward to providing you information. Please note:

(1) this is general information and is not legal advice. I never propose a specific course of action. There is no attorney-client relationship or privilege that is formed when communicating to an expert on this site. The site repeats this disclaimer numerous times. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and

(2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.

I am very sorry you are dealing with this situation. Unfortunately, unless the previous owner is willing to cooperate you are relegated to having to initiate a lawsuit to seek an order that the policy proceeds be used to restore the property. This likely is a situation that will settle outside of the court however, to get to the negotiating table a lawyer should be retained to file a civil complaint and represent your interests.

All my best & encouragement.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated “ok” (3 stars) or higher. If for any reason you feel that a low rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" tab.

All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.

Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

I hope you found the information helpful. Please remember to rate my services, I realize it takes extra time and effort and I appreciate you taking the time in doing so.