How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2157
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Condo HOA is requiring me to replace my windows that have

Customer Question

My Condo HOA is requiring me to replace my windows that have fallen slats. These slats are aluminum and with the frame expanding and contracting the vertical slats become loose and fall. I have 6 windows with fallen slats. At a cost of $350 per window this will set me back $2,100.00. If I have to replace the windows, can I replace with a plane window with no slats.?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, it is irrelevant what we think. You really need permission from the HOA on whether they will accept that. talk to your board and see if they will waive your HOA fees or provide some alternate methods to meet their requirements. I serve on my HOA board and we try to work with our residents on these issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to make the repairs? Even if the fallen slats are due to manufacture defect? Can they fine me? Can they take legal action against me?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately you do. You can sue the manufacturer for your loss in small claims court. I do not know your HOA by laws but their typical remedies are fines, an injunction where they get a judge to order you to fix it or allow them to fix it at your expense. They can even put liens or seek foreclosure.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. We only get credit for answering your question if you accept and provide a rating. If you need further assistance, please let me know.