How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being sued by my mortgage lender and condo association

Customer Question

I am being sued by my mortgage lender and condo association for non-payment. I have a new residence and am just trying to get rid of my condo. I could not do a short sale or deed in lieu ( I tried both) so I was just going to accept the foreclosure and walk away. Do I need to file bankruptcy or do i just show up for the foreclosure hearing? do I need a lawyer for the foreclosure hearing?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

IF you believe that your property is worth less than what you owe, you may eventually have to file bankruptcy to get rid of the deficiency amount. Here's a good link that you can read about this:

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

But, you could wait until after the foreclosure is completed and see where things stand and then file bankruptcy.....depending on what the deficiency is.

It is obviously up to you to determine whether or not to appear at the hearing or whether to hire a lawyer. But, if you don't want to contest things....and if you have no defense to these matters, it may not make much sense to hire a lawyer and spend the money on this.