Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My landlady just passed away the night before last. Weve

Customer Question

My landlady just passed away the night before last. Weve lived here on her property for over three years< with a very good relationship. We have never met any of her four sons untill today. One of her sons showed up on our door step this morning around 10:30 a.m. , pounding on the door. He startled me first of all, second of all he proceeded to go forward into the east side yard and take pictures of the property. All the while, very loudly and bluntly telling me to get the place cleaned up because they are putting it up for sale imeadiatly! Needless to say, i feel very invaded and imposed on. And im very upset, my landlady was also my friend, wether or not her kids want to acknowladge that.My question is what do i do now? And how can i handle her sons on a professional level, they obviously have no idea how to deal with people, let alone tenats.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Do you have a written lease for a certain term or are you month to month?

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If you have a lease for a specific term, you can't be kicked out unless there is some violation of the lease term. But, if you have no lease and are month-to-month, then your landlord would have to give you 60 days notice to vacate under Oregon law. Here's the statute: http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/90.427

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

But, before the children would even have the authority to remove you, they'd have to file to open their mothers estate for probate and get appointed as her estate representative/s before they could order you to vacate.