How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Several residential properties in my little town in TX are

Customer Question

Several residential properties in my little town in TX are owned by the County in which I live. Some vacant lots. Some occupied residential homes. The county is listed as "trustee." Maybe a tax sale or other similar reason? Since the county is listed as the owner, does that make this "public" property? If I wanted to go use my metal detector in that yard, or on that vacant lot, would I have to ask permission? Or, do I have rights of access? Never access into a home. Only to the yard or vacant lot.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

While the property may be publicly owned, this is not the same as providing public access.

If you would like to use a metal detector (I assume you would also like to investigate to see if you can find anything, and perhaps remove such items), you will want to contact the County to get permission.

As management of County property is not always within the same department, you may want to start by contacting your elected official (County Supervisor) and ask their office to assist you - they will have contact information, etc. to assist you in finding the proper person to secure permission to access these sites (if they are willing to do so).

Failure to get permission to access these sites is trespassing.