How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27196
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a property with 2 homes, I live in one and my daughter

Customer Question

I own a property with 2 homes , I live in one and my daughter and granddaughter and my Mother live in the other. My granddaughter has a baby-11/2- and the babies father also lives there. Now the granddaughter has brought another guy into the picture and she was told he was not to spend the night. She has defied me and the guy got confrontational with me and made some threats. What are my options? I called the police and was told that because she invited him I can't take out a trespass on him. What the heck am I supposed to do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If she does reside there, she can invite someone to stay and visit with her, since she is there legally. Even though you own the property and the homes, you are allowing her to live there, so she is inviting and giving this person permission to enter. Now, if he got physical with you, the police could be called. Moreover, if he was creating a disturbance, they can be called as well and if a crime has been committed, they could arrest him. As far as what you could do on your own, that would be to threaten to evict her. It is your home and you are allowing them to stay and if they can not follow and comply with your rules, you can simply provide them with a notice to vacate and if they still remain, proceed with the eviction/ejectment action and get them removed. You shared that she is 19 and adult, so you could kick her out if you wanted to, as you are the owner and simply allowing her to stay

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Real Estate Law Questions