How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am ***** ***** Fuentes, I am opening a Medical Practice in

Customer Question

Customer: I am ***** ***** Fuentes, I am opening a Medical Practice in New York, as a Real Estate Managing Company to run a Medical Practices.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I do have a place already rented and the construction job is done, and I do need to find out if is a requirement that the dept. of health require a final Certificate of Occupancy or if we can open the practice with a temporary C of O /
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Real Estate Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Ye, no problem,
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Here is the law that applies:

Section 1202.3:

(a) Upon completion of all projects for which a building or demolition permit has been issued, the property owner shall obtain a certificate of occupancy or completion. No building erected subject to the Uniform Code and this Part shall be used or occupied, except to the extent provided in this section, until a certificate of occupancy has been issued. No building similarly enlarged, extended, or altered, or upon which work has been performed which required the issuance of a building or demolition permit shall be occupied or used for more than 30 days after the completion of the alteration or work unless a certificate of occupancy or certificate of completion has been issued. (b) No change shall be made in the nature of the occupancy of an existing building unless a certificate of occupancy authorizing the change has been issued. The owner or occupant of such building must demonstrate that such change will conform with all applicable provisions of the Uniform Code before a certificate of occupancy will be issued.

(c) A temporary certificate of occupancy may be issued if the building or structure or a designated portion of a building or structure is sufficiently complete so that it may be safely put to the use for which it is intended. A temporary certificate of occupancy shall expire six months from the date of issuance or at an earlier date if specified thereon. A temporary certificate of occupancy may, at the discretion of the Department of State, be renewed an indefinite number of times.

So, yes, it appears that you can apply for the temporary CO if you meet the above test. Does this answer your question?

Related Real Estate Law Questions