How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29974
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In October 2015 wells fargo changed my mortgage account

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, in October 2015 wells fargo changed my mortgage account number. Now my trans union credit report shows it as a closed account/ adverse account eventhough it is still open and has been paid on timesinceoctober.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: wells fargo said since they changed the loan number they can close the account and they have 3 months to correct it. however, it is negatively affecting my credit score and it is not closed and I have continued to pay it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Real Estate Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure, thanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The easiest way to fix your c may be to file a dispute directly with the credit bureaus. Let them contact Wells Fargo, find out that the account is not closed and is still being paid, and retroactively correct your credit report. If you file a lawsuit, a judge can order Wells Fargo to fix your credit - but the lawsuit itself could take a few months, since that's not the type of case handled by Small Claims, and then you still have to wait for Wells Fargo to fix it once you get a judgment against them.

In addition, you have the ability to sue for a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. If you can prove that you have lost money due to the negative account on your record, a judge can order Wells Fargo to pay you that amount. If you don't have evidence showing exactly how much you're out, a judge can order them to pay you up to $1,000 as a penalty, plus your costs and attorney's fees. If the judge also has authority to impose punitive damages. Another option is to send their legal department a letter, with a copy to the mortgage department manager, explaining that they're in violation of the FCRA and that you'll sue if they do not take steps to fix this problem by a deadline you give them (and pay you an amount that you think is fair, based on the above). You can also remind them that if you have to hire a lawyer, you will ask the judge to order them to pay your fees, which could easily be a few thousand dollars.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.