How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31731
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently got a loan modification but it doesn't seem

Customer Question

I recently got a loan modification but it doesn't seem right. I think we were taken advantage of. During the process my husband was meeting with the bank attorney and a judge (?) at the courthouse. We had expected the modification payments to be about $1800 a month all in. However, the attorney never had paperwork with her. Even the paperwork for the trial period on this modification was a month late. We were fearful of losing our home and basically just signed when the papers arrived. Instead of the ~$300k that was spoken about for the modification, it became $495k because of fees etc that were rolled in. Our payment has become $2800 on a house worth $270k. We don't know what to do. Can an attorney help us understand if the lender did anything illegal? Is there a way out of this? Was this a legal modification?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Whether or not the loan modification was legal or not would require an extensive review of the documents you signed as well as the law related to this........but, it is certainly possible that something was done improperly if your loan ended up increasing by $195,000 and you didn't know it.

However, the best way to deal with this -- in most situations -- is to file chapter 13 bankruptcy and set up a payment plan that you can afford and get away from this loan modification.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

You could get around the loan modification -- whether it's legal or not -- if you choose to file a chapter 13 bankruptcy and establish a payment plan through the bankruptcy court.

Related Real Estate Law Questions